Monday, June 22, 2009

Welcome...and needing some advice...

I am an educator by birth! I've always known that I was meant to be a teacher. I've just finished my 12th year in the classroom; the grades I have taught have ranged from teaching first grade as an interim teacher to Drop out prevention 4/5 split, to gifted and talented learners. I've even spent a year instructing K-5 in a science lab but as this year closes out I look forward to a change in direction. A position as a Learning Team Facilitator awaits me at 2 different Title 1 schools. I will no longer have a classroom of my own. My poor daughters (2 of them)!

Most of my career has been spent in both 3rd and 4th grade classrooms, and (if your an educator in Florida as I am) typically preparing students for the dreaded FCAT. I do- in some ways- believe in some form of standardized testing, however felt an immense amount of pressure to focus on my students who were not performing at grade level standards. I'm sure there are many teachers out there who feel the same way.

What I am curious to know.. is the following.....

*Transitioning from a classroom to a more "coaching" type of position, what should I expect? (I'm feeling a bit 'bittersweet' about my move...)

*How many teachers/educators out there are unsatified with their jobs because of the pressure that administration places on 'us' because of state standardized testing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

NAP book: Ready, Set, SCIENCE

THIS QUIZ is sooo much FUN!!


This Traveler IQ challenge compares your geographical knowledge against the Web's First Travelogue's other 4,891,903 travelers who have taken this challenge as of Monday, December 14, 2009 at 12:57AM GMT. (TravelPod is a TripAdvisor Media Network member)